Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 6 - James and the Giant Pasty

We're going back to Canada today, home of one of our great Boylesque performers, James and the Giant Pasty.


I had seen James perform at BHoF a couple of times (though never in competition for King, strangely enough), but got to know him fairly well a couple of years ago at the 2017 Toronto Burlesque Festival. We had a conversation about baseball, and when I can find a dude to intelligently discuss sports with in the burlesque community, I take it as a happy sign.

At that festival I saw James perform what was my favorite new act I saw that year, his Statue of Liberty/Donald Trump piece. It's overtly political, of course, but still inspiring, hopeful and entertaining. I've since seen it twice more when James has toured through Atlanta and I've found it just as awe-inspiring every time. It's a clever and beautiful act.

Despite not yet being accepted as a King competitor, James IS a member of the acclaimed Boylesque T.O. troupe, which has taken the "Most Comedic" title at BHoF. It was well-deserved.

James and I have spoken at length, so I'm somewhat privy to his work process, and when I add up who he is as a person with who he is as a performer, he's one of the most thoughtful, funny and downright innovative people who happen to make burlesque their primary art form. Regardless of titles or other honorifics, when I think of the all-around best Boylesque performers in the world, he's right there.

NOTE: Since the original publication of this essay, James was selected to compete for King of Burlesque at Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment