Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 4 - Lola Frost

I wish I could post a time-lapse photo of my aura taken while watching Lola Frost perform, because that would better illustrate the energy she brings to her audience moreso than clumsy human words.

I saw Lola's "Mummy" duet with Cherry On Top at my first BHoF Weekend, and it's still one of my favorite acts I've been fortunate enough to witness live. I wrote a few things about it in a blog I used to play around with, she read those things and replied, and pictured here is when I actually met her at BHoF 2013. I am often nervous meeting people I admire, but I had no trepidation with Lola Frost.


Truly great performers bring a multitude of skills and talents to the stage, but also often have one shining thing that sets them apart like a flaming beacon. Lola is better than anyone I've seen at connecting deeply to an audience instantly, making 50 or 400 or 2,000 people feel that she is somehow performing directly to each of them individually. Jane Smith in the standing room only section who just casually bought a ticket on a whim and showed up late is still going to be leaving that show with a bone-deep sense that she saw something special, even transformative.

That's not just because Lola kills as a dancer and all-around performer, she radiates a wavelength that, when a scientist learns how to measure it, will be used to treat depression and other chronic ailments. Her "Drink Me Sober" routine is as cathartic an experience as I've ever had watching someone on stage.

Lola recently returned to one of the great burlesque towns in the world, Vancouver, BC, Canada and was just certified as a pilates instructor besides still owning every stage she walks upon. She is a stellar human being, a thoughtful friend, and equal parts serpent and panther, aka a "Serpanther." Usually when a dangerous animal is spotted somewhere, the local government enacts quarantine zones and warns residents to stay indoors. Vancouver hung up a "Welcome Back, Lola Frost" sign and threw a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment