Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Burlesque Appreciation Month 2020 - An Introduction

In February, I decided to celebrate what I called Burlesque Appreciation Month on my Facebook page. Twenty-nine days, twenty-nine mini-essays about burlesque performers, personalities, ideas and institutions that have come to mean something to me in my decade or so as a fan of the art.


I began with a mental list of possibilities that numbered well over twenty-nine. I knew I'd not be able to get to everything I considered. As the writing commenced, it became clear that I was best-served writing about performers I have met and spoken with about their history and artistic process. I further narrowed it down to people I actually was friends with on Facebook, but again, that left many writing options I simply didn't get to.
Every day, I began my essay with this descriptor/disclaimer, and it only makes sense to copy it here for everyone to read:
"Just some quick notes on methodology, 'cause I'm a nerd. While I have some idea of what I'll be writing about in broad strokes, I haven't locked anything down, so I'll legitimately be writing each day off the top of my head. I do this not to exclude anyone or anything, but to piece together some thoughts in hopes that, in 29 days, I'll have celebrated an art form I've come to love in the best way I can, and I hope to be inclusive in that respect."

Who am I? I hope that question is revealed somewhat in each of these mini-essays, but I'll answer here, too. I'm a burlesque fan and a frequent attendee of shows and festivals all over North America, and I've been fortunate enough to develop friendships with several international burlesque performers, producers, support staff, and, of course, other fans. I've had a small hand in producing and sponsoring burlesque shows, and I hope to do much more in the future, but my goal is to continue to see burlesque as an educated enthusiast, first and foremost.


I may make minor edits as I re-read and re-post everything, but this should be 99.9% exactly what I wrote each day in February 2020. Things have changed in the weeks since these essays were originally published due to Covid-19, so some references to future events may no longer be correct. I will do my best to leave notes in those instances.
Read in peace, and please reach out if you enjoy this project.
Best,
Paul Lewis
Twitter - @TheOneWhoKnox
Instagram - @1WhoKnox 

No comments:

Post a Comment