Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 16 - Siomai Moore

It was pretty obvious that yesterday's picture was cropped, so it's only fair to share the other half of the picture today and say a few words about The Steamiest Asian Dumpling, Siomai Moore.



Siomai, despite being a relatively new performer, has stormed the scene with a delightful verve and confidence, but, even moreso than her performance career, it may be her offstage contributions that have cast the furthest echoes thus far, but more on that in a moment. I have seen Siomai perform once, and it was her signature "Dumpling" act. It's one of the great costume/prop elements I've seen on stage of late, and my understanding is that the costume has undergone upgrades since, so I hope to see it again!

There isn't really a central hub of burlesque information and conversation. There are facebook groups aplenty and text chains and probably message boards. A lot of people attend Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend and BurlyCon, and connections and consensuses are forged in those places, but not everyone can be there. But everyone CAN listen to one of Siomai's interviews on her podcast, The Pastie Tapes, and feel like they're in a room with their favorite performers telling tales about their origins and inspirations.

I've seen burlesque interview shows or heard burlesque podcasts, but they are often intermittent at best, or end quickly at worst (no judgement...sustaining creative endeavors is hard). For the last few months, Siomai has been doing the work and interviewing a wide swath of burlesque personalities. Hell, I even appeared in an early episode, discussing one of my favorite acts. You may hear my name again on an upcoming cast, but I'll talk about that when it happens.

When I think of Siomai, I first think of her limitless passion for burlesque, a passion that clearly drives her performances, but that also has led her to be one of the clearest voices in the community. Her ability to amplify voices has led her to run multiple professional social media accounts and to teach classes to performers about how to best represent themselves to the wider world. If there's ever a Governor of Burlesque, it will probably be her, so I'm lobbying now for a Cabinet position.

No comments:

Post a Comment