Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 3 - Ballet

I can't say I know a lot about ballet. I lack the ability to discuss big chunks of performing arts like music and dance because, while I know some words and concepts, I don't understand how they practically come to life on a stage (other than practitioners work their ass off to master their craft). I just don't have the vocabulary to do them justice.



It may be a bit of a cop-out to simply say "I know what I like," but in this case I have to resort to that. There have been so many times I've been thrilled by a burlesque performer and, in discussing their history which led them to the stage, I find they studied ballet for a time.

Now, I love many a performer who never wore a tutu or would even think of going en pointe. Some of my absolute favorites have no formal dance training at all. But I must admit that, for my eyes at least, ballet training and its emphasis on grace and precise control of movement translates powerfully well to the burlesque stage.

Usually, when I compliment someone and their formal training becomes a part of the conversation, they usually lead with "Yeah, all those years of ballet sure paid off!" as they acknowledge the disconnect between the "proper" art of ballet and the ignominious, oft-misundrrstood art of burlesque. Speaking only for myself, I love that disconnect.

Burlesque is not just about people taking their clothes off. It challenges convention and recontextualizes other forms of art to create something new. I find it gorgeous that one of the most stereotypically disciplined forms of dance finds itself frequently deconstructed and respun into something no less graceful and powerful, just more naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment