Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 19 - Salome Cabaret

I addressed burlesque troupes a few days ago, but there's more than one way to construct one, none more or less valid than another. What one of my favorites troupes filled with some of my favorite people espouses is the idea that burlesque can be for everyone, and if you show an interest, do the work, and refine your act through rehearsal and peer review, you absolutely will be able to share it with an audience. This is my hometown troupe, y'all. It's Knoxville, TN's Salome Cabaret (Burlesque You'll Lose Your Head Over)!


First of all, I'm not going to mention any names in this essay, because I've known almost everyone in the troupe over the last few years, and there have been a lot of them. I'd inevitably leave someone out, and I'd feel terrible. I'm grateful for each person who has chosen to get their burlesque on all over Knoxville, be it just to stage kitten a few times, to put in a year or two, hopefully finding that thing they were looking for when they started burlesque, or if they've been there the entirety of the troupe's tenure.

When I began to be more than a casual fan, a monthly Salomé show was my textbook (with a centerfold cleverly hidden inside, of course). I got to see all kinds of acts, some grand successes right off the bat, some noble experiments that didn't quite gel. But what I really saw was growth, new performers gaining confidence while seasoned performers anchored the proceedings and mentored the constant trickle of newbies who wanted to learn to do what they were seeing on stage. As such, Salomé has been a frequently shifting entity, with some stalwarts putting in years of service time, some leaving because of life changes, but with a constant influx of new voices at any given time.

I try to not be overly emotional in these essays, but of the cornerstones of my fandom and my interest in burlesque, Salomé can't be understated. Even if they just put on entertaining shows for me to enjoy, featuring some of the best burlesque in the Southeast and exceptional special guest performers from around the world, that would have been enough, but they became my friends, cheerleaders, and even business partners a handful of times. I love what they do, who they are, and wish I could be at every damn show they put on.

Anyway, if you're visiting Knoxville, check the calendar and hope Salomé Cabaret is performing while you're there. Maybe they can be your centerfold-hiding textbook, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment