Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 24 - Dirty Martini

I've been saving this mini mini-essay for a day when work got the better of me. Today is that day. So let's talk about Dirty Martini ever-so-briefly.


There is little I can add to the volumes written about Miss Exotic World, Queen of Burlesque 2004. Obviously, she won the most coveted title in burlesque, which is a thing in and of itself, but she keeps going. She performs all over the U.S. and internationally. Name a burlesque festival, and there's a good chance she has headlined it at some point. She's a helluva dancer and a provocative performance artist, neither aspect of her overpowering the other. When I talk to people about what prompted them to pursue burlesque, her name pops up as much if not more than any other single person. If there's ever a Mount Rushmore of burlesque, she'll be on it.

She could rest on laurels, but she continues to innovate with her art. And she's just one of the most joyous, warm presences you could ever hope to be around. I think I could watch her perform hundreds of times, added to the dozens I've already seen her, and never tire of her skill and energy.

Let's raise a glass to Dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment