Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 17 - Sweetpea

There are certain performers who have been stalwarts in the decade or so that I've been paying attention to burlesque. Not every performer has longevity in them, and that's OK. I've seen several people do their thing for a few years, then step back for reasons personal or professional. There are others who not only perform within that highly professional strata, but who seemingly find ways to level it up. When I think about this self-improvement dynamic, I think of Sweetpea.


When I think about how crowd-pleasing Sweetpea is (thunderous applause every time) and always has been, it's crazy to think she found new gears to shift into. I've always enjoyed watching her, but about 3 years ago I noticed, Oh damn, she's GETTING BETTER. I can't imagine how you can be at the apex of the game, then figure out how to top your own best self.

I've written about a couple of performer's on-stage energy previously, and though that can't be measured, most of the greats have figured out how to harness and project some intimate aspect of themselves. That said, you can't speak about Sweetpea without talking about her contributions offstage. She is heavily involved in outreach and care for burlesque Legends, the terminology used to describe performers who were active before the neo-burlesque "revival" in the 90's. She genuinely cares about her forebears in the industry, but she really cares about everyone, near as I can see. Even though she drips danger on stage, that is cut through with a profound generosity that can't be hidden, and I think that openness is what feeds a crowd so fully.

We often speak of the member of a group who best exemplifies the ideals the collective puts forth for it's best self as the Heart of that group. The Heart of Burlesque may well be The Energizer Honey herself, Sweetpea.

No comments:

Post a Comment